80 is the new 30?




A beautiful princess comes upon a frog in a meadow near her castle.
The frog hops into the princess' lap and says, "My lady, one kiss from you, and I will turn back into the dapper, young prince that I once was, and then, my sweet, we can marry and set-up housekeeping in yon castle with my mother, where you can prepare my meals, clean my clothes, bear my children and forever be happy doing so."
That night, as the princess dines on lightly sauteed frog legs, she chuckles to herself, "I don't f**kin' think so."

Read a very interesting article recently. It started with a claim that women are unhappier than men until they reach their 80s, by when the men with whom they often shared their lives dropped dead. Ha! I thought, forwarding the article to Husband, excitedly. 

On the other occasion- A coincidence? But, as they said in Point Blank
 “I don’t believe in coincidence. Where some people see coincidence, I see conspiracy”--someone shared Steve Harvey”s interview of Dana Delany on Facebook. Who is 60. Crazy, right?

She said her secret was that she drinks wine (check) and never married (Oh. I see.) and had no kids. Interesting.

Hope my children never read my blog, but you see where I am going with this. Family life and our husbands make women unhappy, and make us age faster. That’s a scientific fact. 

However, and here is what we have been discussing with an old friend of mine who is quite a few years older and wiser than me… there is still hope, should you live this long. Mind you, you may never get to that age, as, also according to this friend who you will notice is a cheerful old soul, leading a miserable existence will give you cancer and you will die way before you reach that happier older age stage. Kaputskiy.

But, let’s stay positive. Should it be your partner and not you who karks it first; and you end up in your say, 80’s and alone, don’t get depressed, because, according to this friend of mine, that’s where your happy life begins. Her aunt, in her late seventies, just started going out with someone and they are going to Paris in springtime. 

Another friend of mine used to work on a big cruise ship. ‘We often saw’, she said, “happy old couples on our ship, sipping champagne, holding hands, beautiful smiles on their faces”. 

Please! -She asked them-What is your secret to such a happy life at your old age? This sparkle in your eyes, how did you keep this affection alive for all these years??

My dear, one couple responded. You surely don’t think we have been married to each other all these years?! Our partners died ages ago! We only just started dating!

Joking (and all those husbands’ hurt feelings) aside though, there is evidence that people start feeling a lot happier after 60. Perhaps it has something to do with realization how little time you have left an you stop sweating the small stuff? Perhaps you realise that all your earlier ambitions to become a rock star, all your career aspirations and dreams to make a fortune didn’t get anywhere at all, and now definitely wont… but you know what, fuck it. This is it now, no more stress, no more running around trying to achieve something. So, all you have left to do then is relax and watch the rain with a cup of tea in your hand.  

So there you go. Eat well, don’t forget to drink wine, and who knows, maybe in about forty years or so you will find blissful happiness.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts